Saturday, February 23, 2008

KEEP IT SIMPLE, PROCHOICE IS PROLIFE

PRO-CHOICE, A PRO-LIFE DECISION

KEEP IT SIMPLE

Well, this Bioethics and Law course has certainly been one of my favorites. What a wonderful opportunity to learn other health care professionals opinion on some very controversial issues and why they feel that way. Being from the South, and probably the only Republican Southern Baptist on the island has certainly put me in the middle of most of the controversy. My classmates know I am passionate about what I believe and blessed with the “gift of gab” so this course has been a wonderful outlet for me!

It would seem that no matter what the topic of the day was, our class would inevitably migrate back to “when does life begin” and how do you feel about unwanted pregnancies.

Having discussed this in great detail over the last few months and having read many profound and well written and documented details on the facts of embryology and fetal

Development, I feel I have broadened my horizons extensively. Many will wish that I had been “converted”, but know what a tough sell that would be. As passionate as I am about life, children, varying levels of different abilities of humans, and my moral believes, I am equally passionate that everyone else has that same right to their opinion and beliefs as I do. I don’t seek to change theirs and ask they not seek to change mine. Agree to disagree. Having said all of this, finally brings me to a brief point I would like to make and share with fellow students before, during and after me.

Let’s just keep it simple. We have tried so hard for so many years to convince each other that we have the correct interpretation of ethical issues, that maybe it’s time to just get back to the basics of life. A doctor came into my mother’s hospital room and put a stethoscope to her chest and waited. No heartbeat. Time of death 5:55pm. We place a stethoscope on a mothers abdomen at 3 weeks and sometimes earlier and, we can certainly use a ultrasound and visualize what is yet too faint to hear before a woman realizes she will not have another menstrual cycle and there it is, life has begun. Yes, admittedly, there are some circumstances that influence each situation, but that answer is pretty cut and dry. If we kill a caterpillar before it is a butterfly, that does not change the fact that left to develop and mature, it is and will be a complete product. Humans have to develop, that doesn’t make them nonhuman or dead. Let’s stop while it is still that simple and just go with that in almost all circumstances that would answer the first question, When does life begin, Is it killing a baby to have an abortion, and when can you abort without ending a forming life? If someone is contemplating abortion, that moment has probably already arrived and (see above instructions), pick up a stethoscope and let them decide.

Next is the right to choice. Again, let’s keep it as simple as possible. Having cleared up the above issue should make this even more simple. Unless you have no aversion to taking a life, it’s again pretty simple. Birth control if you plan ahead. Adoption or taking responsibility for your lack of planning if plan A is not in place or failed. There you go, Freedom of choice, pick one. You have the right, nay, even dare I use the word, RESPONSIBILITY?? Yes, you say there are circumstances that make it hard to imagine bringing a child into this world. Teenage pregnancy is bad, but I personally know a apple of Grandma’s eye that we can’t imagine life without now. Yes, it was hard. Yes, lives were changed forever. Yes, a life that is irreplaceable was given to us to enjoy. You deal with what you have to. I know handicaps and disabilities are hard for people to look at and imagine having to deal with 24/7. I have personally seen the look of pity in peoples eyes as they watch my beautiful, yet legally blind 7 year old struggle to play T-ball, and ride the merry-go-round, and watch Hannah Montana. But you know what? She doesn’t know she is the one with a problem. To her, everyone sees just like she does. That is all she knows. I can’t imagine life without her for sure and I will never know the countless number of people she has inspired to enjoy life. I will forever be thankful for a teenage girl that didn’t believe she could deal with a handicapped child and gave me the most precious gift I will ever receive, her child. Bless you forever.

Yes, life is hard at times, and we face decisions we can’t imagine how we will handle. You just do the right thing. Two wrongs doesn’t make a right, never was more appropriate. It will be ok. Talk to someone. Ask for help. Make an informed decision. Make a choice. Keep it simple. Life will get more complicated. Let’s let the easy stuff go and work on some really tough issues for a while.

Just a simple opinion from a country girl with a simple upbringing, but educated enough to share some information, some experience, and a shoulder if someone needed it.

Best of luck fellow physicians, Keep It Simple anytime you can!!!

Anita Turner, FNP

UHSA Med Student

Feb. 22, 2008

No comments: